Pages

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

R.I.P. Corolla

Saturday May 19, 2012 I'm driving south on I15 headed home from the SC state baseball game. Classic aviators on & this song floating through the air, I am chipper. Since the construction/traffic up here is horrendous, I decide to get off an exit before my regular. As i'm cruising along traffic decides to pull a quick one on me and comes to a stop out of nowhere. Unable to stop fast enough I smash into the car in front of me. A few choice words escape my mouth. Then I start laughing and crying.. a sound resembling a cackle. Really cute. I have two major concerns. 1. I can't feel my legs. 2. My car is emitting smoke & scents like crazy. Since traffic is so congested and there is no shoulder it takes me about ten minutes to get off the freeway and pull over. Fortunately I'm beginning to feel my legs again and I see that the car I hit has minor damage. (I got a kick out of the Toyota sign which imprinted into his bumper.) My shaky hands reach for the door but to my surprise the two front doors wont open. I fling my limp body into the back seat and attempt to make my break. The kid I hit had to reminds me to turn off my car. When I see my car the tears come again and all I can say to the kind gentleman is "Oh my gosh. I'm so sorry. I seriously feel awful. I'm so sorry. Really I'm sorry. I'm just really sorry." Through a blurry string of events I lay myself on the grass & a highway patrol man pulls up. First words that come out of his mouth, "You're going to need to get a tow truck." No duh Sherlock. Paper work is filled out. I'm given a ticket & the Kitchen family comes to my rescue. 
Whiplash sucks but telling your parents you wrecked their car is the hardest part about poor driving. I'm still cleaning up the mess that I made (with A LOT of help) but everyone is okay and I feel fortunate. My car may or may not be totaled. Lessons learned: Don't drive, ride bikes. My parents are the most amazing people in the world. The Kitchens will forever be my second family.The Toyota Yaris (my rental car) looks like a midget. C'est la vie!



1 comment:

  1. this was a really sad post, but it was so well-written! i'm sorry about your car. but keep blogging away!

    ReplyDelete