Pages

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Mud Caves & Munchies.

Random events & other things from day two in Yangshuo:

Friday morning we met up with our dear friend [& guide] Esther & made our way to some rad mud caves. We trekked through the caves in amazement & realized they were very much unlike any other caves we had ever been into. When we reached the mud caves we could hardly wait to plunge in. So plunge we did. It wasn't long before we were all squealing like little girls. We discovered that you could sit in the mud with your feet & arms in the air & just levitate. It was the strangest feeling. After playing around & taking many cheesy photos [in order to please our photographer], we made our way over to the hot springs to rinse off. I'd say the caves were a feat.
I hardly listened to anything but The Perks of Being A Wallflower soundtrack while on this trip. This song seemed to be the favorite. 

We discovered that our bathroom light was the brightest most unfortunate thing ever. It would literally give you a sunburn when you looked in the mirror. I still don't understand why they wanted to torture us in such a way. 
We did sooo much shopping & I'm learning to enjoy bartering. I absolutely love the fact that I shopped myself silly & still spent less than forty dollars on souvenirs. Three cheers for currency conversion! 
We saw the Asian Harry Potter. Earlier that day we told another guy he looked like Harry Potter & he kept saying "Harry Body?" Bless their poor souls for not knowing about good ol HP. 
We went to the cutest post card store ever. I may or may not have bought a whole box of postcards with animal heads on human bodys. Either way I was really fond of the place. 
We had the BEST food. Never would I think that normal food would be such an exciting thing for me [or that I would be posting so many pictures of it] but it truly was one of the highlights of the trip. 
Warm banana bread with butter. Only five RMB [less than one dollar].
Chocolate donuts made right in front of us.
Fresh mango smoothies. Nothing but mangos, ice & deliciousness! We would drink multiple a day.
Chocolate banana crepes. 
Chocolate pancakes or at least that's what we called them. Best 2.5 RMB I've ever spent. 
On a different note camels are cool & so are giant butterflies on mountains. 
We went cormorant fishing. Well we watched a cute old man cormorant fish. It was super cool. Basically what they do is get birds to go underwater & fish but they make it so the birds can't swallow the fish. Hence the fisherman can pull the fish out of the birds mouth & fry himself up some supper. Kind of sad but entertaining to watch.
I liked this painting at Mimosa's Cafe. 
We went to a bar & sang kareokee. We sang multiple songs but my personal favorite was when we attempted to sing Thrift Shop. It was so great because none of us knew the words & we just got jiggy wit it. Those Asians didn't know what hit them. Right after this guy tried to kidnap Stevie. He for real wanted to take her home & it was the funniest thing ever. Then this other guy let me look at his phone where I found tons of pictures of myself.. Borderline flattering. Mostly creepy. 

People eat ants?
Our second night staying at the hostel was a rather eventful one. We came home & discovered that the Crazy Canadian had already passed out. As a result we quickly fell into a peaceful slumber. A few hours later we were awoken by a gentlemen stumbling into walls, turning on lights & talking to himself. This was the moment we met our other wasted roommate. He was so drunk that he could not get himself into bed. Hence he needed to be lifted into the top bunk. The running into things, mumbling & need for assistance did not stop the whole entire night. The highlight of this escapade was when he fell off of his bunk. We were all sound asleep when we heard the loudest thump. The gentleman had someone managed to fall off of the top bunk [with rails] & land in between our beds. He wasn't moving & we seriously feared that he had died. After poking him & hearing a small moan the Canadian [who had sobered up] said nothing but "Are you going to puke?" I thought the whole experience was the funniest thing & still can't speak [or type] of it without laughing. Maybe it was one of those "you had to be there" things but either way it was a great. I didn't get a picture of "Face Plant Frank" but here is the Crazy Canadian. Is it just me or are her feet MASSIVE? 
 & that's all for now folks...

1 comment:

  1. ok. I love your blog.
    &&
    I was practically drooling over all the food pictures

    ReplyDelete