Pages

Monday, November 17, 2014

Copenhagen, Denmark.

Oh Denmark. I can say in confidence that the days I spent in Copenhagen were the weirdest of my life. I wish I could go into detail but again some things are better for journals not blogs. 

First things first Copenhagen is a biking mecca. It's one of the top biking cities in the world! Around 40% of the population uses a bicycle as their main source of transportation. The bike lanes are bigger than the car lanes! It was a dream come true for me. I MISS MY BIKE!

Our hostel was more like a hotel than a hostel. Bailey & I shared a room with a bunch of drunk grandpas who liked to hang out in their underwear. No, they were not friends. We gave them all nicknames & tried to avoid going in there because it smelt bad & we would always see things that we didn't want to.
There are a lot of beautiful people in Copenhagen. Especially hot dads. We just walked around the streets constantly saying.. hot dad... hot dad... hot dad. There were too many to count. Psh. I thought the women in Russia were beautiful...

I found the coolest postcard/art store ever! I'm a postcard fanatic so I was loosing my mind.
This is probably only exciting for me BUT Bailey & I made a point to check out the Cheap Monday store the first day we got there. Cheap Monday is my favorite brand of jeans (thanks to Baye) & its really hard to find them in the states. Anyways we went there & I got two pairs of jeans for 75% off. I WAS SO STOKED. I'M STILL STOKED.


On Friday night Bailey & I decided to just walked around the city. We hadn't been out too long when we saw a group of people running into a crammed little street. It was like running with the bulls Copenhagen style. Anyways all the sudden this truck covered in shaving cream appeared & people in full costume popped out of the back. They were dancing & passing out free Christmas beer (which is apparently a big thing in Denmark) & free hats. Then it started SNOWING. The whole street was filled with machines blowing out fake snow & people were loosing their minds. Including myself. It was awesome. We just sat there & watched & loved every second of it.
Food in Copenhagen is incredibly expensive. We found a lunch special & got these massive burgers but they were still seventeen bucks. Even McDonalds cost us like nine dollars. On the bright side I finally found mint ice cream!
We made friends with a couple of Swedes. They were great & spoke six languages. They made our experience twice as fun.

One of the more interesting events that occurred while in Copenhagen was our excursion to Christiania park. It was a suggested location for tourists & I saw that it was covered in graffiti, so I was instantly enticed. We made our way there, knowing nothing about it. As soon as we got into the park we thought it was so weird. Cool but weird. It was basically a junk yard covered in graffiti. As we continued to get deeper into the park (it's massive by the way, like eighty acres) we started noticing flags & tons of weird things about drugs but we didn't think anything of it.
Anyways as we entered one specific street a guy walked up to me & told me to stop taking pictures. He was pretty stern about it & even insisted that I put my lense cap on. I accepted but thought it was strange. Bailey then asked him why & he responded by saying "Well they sell marijuana here & it's still illegal." We laughed it off & continued on our way noticing tons of massive signs on the buildings & streets that said no photography.
As we entered into the street there were over a dozen different tents selling weed. It was as shady as ever too. They were all covered in net & all you could see was hands rolling joints. Every kind of person was stepping up to get their fix. From teenagers to grandpas. There were no rules here. We exited this street (which we later found out had the fitting name of green light district) & continued to wander the park. There were tons of empty house & people smoking weed everywhere. Like hundreds of dirty hippies & I'm not exaggerating. IT WAS SO WEIRD because there were a lot of cute little tourist families walking around too.  We kept wondering if we should give them a heads up before they took their kiddos into the heart of things. I don't know, it was just the strangest place ever. You'd surely never catch me there after like five o clock. They had some super rad art though.
As soon as we left we had to do some research. We were dying to find out more about this place. Turns out that it's more of a town than a park. It has a lot of cool history behind it but basically its been around for a long time & runs by its own set of laws. They don't sell any hard drugs & the residence make a sort of vow to keep things that way. The police know whats going on but just let it happen because they figure its better to confine distribution to one area. It really is incredibly interesting if you want to read about it here.

The majority of our time was spent doing our usual wandering around the city. It was so clean & beautiful there. Here are some pics that don't do it justice. 
& that's the end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment